Thursday, June 23, 2016

Week 7: Assignment 2

New Adult: Needless Marketing-Speak Or Valued Subgenre?

This article explores the need to categorize literature geared for the 18 to 24-year-old crowd.  Frankly, I have always found the term "young adult" confusing, as it seems to be targeted at teens, including 14 to 18-year-olds. BCPL's use of the call number "Teen" seems to be more appropriate.That being said, since we work in a public library, many of these distinctions may seem arbitrary and unnecessary.  But to many of our customers, especially those who may not be avid readers, this may be a useful way of identifying material that would be of interest.  Most of us can relate to the characters in our favorite books, especially if they are in the same stage of life as we are, or are facing some of the same struggles that we do. I would welcome any distinction that provides additional information, whether younger "teen" or "new adult."


A Not-So-Young Audience for Young Adult Books

I have always tried to read whatever my children were reading for school.  It gives me a chance to connect with them on an intellectual level and learn more about what they like to read.  As they have gotten older, that has included more from the Young Adult genre.  I probably would not have read the Hunger Games trilogy or the Divergent series if not for their interest.  And I have discovered that I enjoy reading Young Adult fiction!  Not exclusively, but certainly there is a place for it in my reading adventures.  Whatever gets you to think, feel, or learn is acceptable reading material.

No comments:

Post a Comment