Friday, June 17, 2016

Week 6: Assignment 1

Way back in Week One, I chose Tor as my genre resource as I am unfamiliar with the science fiction/ fantasy genre and figured it would be a good learning experience.  Part of this whole training process is to get us to expand our horizons, right?

I must admit that spending time looking at this website has been a little like waking up in an alternate universe.  Strange, unfamiliar, confusing.  Many of the titles, authors, and series that are discussed on the website were completely foreign.

I am probably most familiar with popular science fiction, having enjoyed all of the Star Trek and Star Wars series.   The children's Tripods series by John Christopher is outstanding.  One of my favorite authors, John Sandford, recently crossed genres and wrote a science fiction book with author and photographer Ctein.  It was wonderful - blending political intrigue with interesting characters.  I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much.

As far as Fantasy - who doesn't love Harry Potter?  On the other hand, I have tried in vain for years to motivate myself to read my 50th anniversary copy of The Hobbit.  The creepy trolls and other creatures just can't hold my attention. Other than that I really haven't read much in the way of fantasy.

I have subscribed to the Tor newsletter in hopes that I can spend more time in the future becoming more familiar with some of these genres authors, and be apprised of upcoming titles of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment